STONY BROOK, N.Y., July 3, 2013 – New York Magazine’s 2013 “Best Doctors” issue features 19 full-time and voluntary physicians from Stony Brook University Hospital (SBUH). The “Best Doctors” list represents the top two percent of physicians in the Greater New York Metropolitan Area. Practicing in a wide range of specialties, the Stony Brook physicians were selected from a region that includes more than 60,000 physicians.
The “Best Doctors” list is compiled by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd., which publishes Top Doctors: New York Metro Area, with profiles of nearly 5,900 physicians in a 20-county area spanning three states – New York, New Jersey and Connecticut – representing the top 10 percent of doctors in the region. The 1,198 “Best” from this list were then picked to be featured in New York Magazine.
The selection process is based on peer nominations, followed by telephone interviews with leading specialists, chiefs of service, and other hospital personnel. Criteria for selection include professional qualifications, reputation, the ability to communicate effectively, demonstrate empathy, and other factors.
Stony Brook physicians selected for 2013 are:
• Mary R. Andriola, MD – Child Neurology
• David Brown, MD – Cardiovascular Disease
• Alexander B. Dagum, MD – Plastic Surgery
• Dennis Davidson, MD – Neonatal/Perinatal Medicine
• James N. Droesch, MD – Obstetrics & Gynecology
• Suzanne D. Fields, MD – Geriatric Medicine
• Catherine E. Kier, MD – Pediatric Pulmonology
• William E. Lawson, MD – Interventional Cardiology
• Lloyd Lense, MD – Cardiovascular Disease
• Robert I. Parker, MD – Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
• John C. Pomeroy, MD – Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
• Michael Poon, MD – Cardiovascular Disease
• Lesley Rechter, MD – Family Medicine
• Michael Steven Richheimer, MD – Allergy & Immunology
• Michael W. Schuster, MD – Hematology
• James R. Taylor, MD – Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery
• Carmen Tornos, MD – Pathology
• Thomas A. Wilson, MD – Pediatric Endocrinology
• Henry H. Woo, MD – Neurological Surgery
“This list of deserving honorees only touches the surface of our medical staff’s overall clinical excellence in numerous specialties,” said L. Reuven Pasternak, MD, Chief Executive Officer of Stony Brook University Hospital. “We are pleased to see so many newcomers to the list for 2013 and expect the list to continue to grow as we develop an outstanding regional network of providers.”
About Stony Brook University Hospital:
Stony Brook University Hospital (SBUH) is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, SBUH serves as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and is home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Long Island Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. SBUH also encompasses Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center. To learn more, visit www.stonybrookmedicine.edu.
Photos of Stony Brook’s Top Docs are available here.